Friday, November 21, 2003

Here Comes Santa Claus

How pathetic am I? A local radio station just made a big deal out of "Santa's making a big announcement @4:30", even had the traffic guy track his progress to the parking garage. Then Santa goes on the air and says "2003's been a tough year - we've got loved ones risking their lives in Iraq; the local economy's still not doing well, we had a little bit of snow last week - I think we need a little Christmas early. I hereby ask KLIT to start playing non-stop Christmas music starting right now!" then they play this song from a charity Christmas CD called "Christmas in the Northwest" which is cheesy in the extreme but very pretty.... and I started bawling. The chorus is "Christmas in the Northwest Is a gift God wrapped up in green" and it gets me every time. It's tough to be an atheist during the holidays. Sometimes I feel silly about how damned much I love the Northwest, and feel so proud to be lucky enough to have been born & raised here. My atheist Grandma F. used to say "If there is a God - she's right here. This is God's country - you want a cathedral? Look around!" Maybe that's why Oregon has the lowest % of people "practicing" religion in the country. I can understand craving heaven when you're ekeing your living out of a hard, dusty, blistering desert. But this is heaven on earth - I can't imagine anywhere better!

Maybe it's just PMS making me so emotional, which would be a shame - if you get impreggenated do you still get PMS?

I'd heard KLIT's promos that they were going to start playing Xmas music 24/7 again this year, but had NO IDEA it would be so freakin' early! One week before Thanksgiving?? Come on! But OTOH, I looooove Christmas music and for some reason I'm more "in the spirit" this year than I have been lately. Curt would love nothing more than to go get a tree THIS WEEKEND. So I'm groovin' out to Mannheim Steamroller's instrumental version of "Deck the Halls" right now - feelin' all the world like a twinkle light getting lit up for the first time. I can smell the pine now - maybe I'll give in. :)

No comments: