Thursday, November 20, 2003

I's a College Draguate!

OK all you people quit giving me Hell - I finally went and picked up my college diploma today. It's only been 8 years - what's the problem? They've kept it nice and safe for me through countless moves, and were nice enough to waive the $30 or so in parking fines 5 years ago that caused them to hold it in the first place. So it's a win-win all around!

What motivated me? Well - there's a couple of annoying women in the office who strike up this tiresome UO vs. OSU rivalry every year just before their big Civil War football game. They drench the office in their school colors and are quite smug. This year I had enough! I felt the urge to point out that there *ARE* other universities in the state of Oregon, one of which I happened to have graduated from and feel pretty damn proud of myself. PSU has, in fact the largest student enrollment in the state. But we highlight education over athletics so our teams have to fight for their funding every year and will most likely *never* make it into the Pac-10 or other NCAAA (or whatever it is) big-time football league. The average age of our student body is 27 - about half are returning adult students juggling school, a job and family. When I was there we had one frat and one sorority each. OSU, on the other hand was the setting for the movie "Animal House" and appropriately so. We may be the youngest school in the state system (est. 1946) but we have the most dignified, mature student body.

It turns out we have far more PSU alums in the building than either OSU ir UO! Heh. So my boss Jan, the accounting mgr and I all agreed to buy some school sweatshirts and "represent" tomorow; and I got nominated to go to the campus bookstore at lunch today to pick up the shirts and other assorted memorobilia. So as long as I was there I picked up the old diploma. Such a simple, easy thing to do I don't know why it's taken me 8 years to get around to it. Oh well.

No comments: