Monday, January 19, 2004

20/20 Vision and one dead tooth later

I'm still alive :) and I'm not blind!! Woohoo!! The Lasik after all the hoopla was strangely anti-climatic. Didn't hurt at all. It was just more than a little disconcerting to feel like my eyes were going in for a 10 min oil change. Wait for 2 hours, get your little kit of goodies from Chris the tech guy (who bore a strong resemblance to one of the cruise director's assistants, "Karl with a K" from our honeymoon... but I digress); then they take you into a procedure room that was highly reminiscent of an X-files episode... plop you down in the chair, tape open your eyelids, then within 5 minutes afix suction thingies to your eyeballs, apply some eyedrop numbing stuff, then slice open the cornea, crank up the laser (I can't really describe the smell of burnt eyeball... I'm blocking it) , slap on some goop, flop the flap back over and voila! Good as new! Makes you think the days of Minority Report where Tom Cruise gets a black market eyeball transplant aren't that far-fetched.

No comments: