Monday, September 13, 2004

hallucinogenic hormones

I’ve finally started to have dreams about the river fry, probably prompted by the recent arrival of baby paraphenilia in the house and subsequent nursery –building activity. Mostly pleasant, thank Maude. I guess the “I’m going to be a shitty mother” paranoia hasn’t quite set in yet. First was a dream about getting the hang of breastfeeding, wherein I was a little concerned we weren’t doing it right, but the fry was fat, healthy and happy (with curly hair and freckles, for some reason. Weird since neither Curt nor I have freckles). With big sausage-like arms and legs. So in the end, a nice reassuring dream. Then last night it was about the actual childbirth. Wherein I proceeded to shock and amaze the hospital staff by shooting the little bugger out in less than an hour, with my mother and Curt playing catcher since the nurses & doctor were all on break or something, secure in their expectation that it would take me somewhere in the range of 12 – 48 hours to deliver.

Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that this is my body’s way of lulling me into a false sense of complacency with some kind of feel-good hormonal cocktail, kind of like that hallucinogenic flower pollin that got Spock all silly and happy on that episode of Star Trek??

No comments: