Tuesday, October 05, 2004

What - do I need a "Baby on Board" T-shirt?

I have been doing other things besides volcano monitoring (though that is fun). We planted about 100 bulbs on Saturday. Daffodils, Narcissus, Tulips, Crocus and some Amaryllis. They’ll be blooming right around the time the Fry arrives (well, all but the amaryllis). And I’ve volunteered to do some phone banking at Planned Parenthood tomorrow and next Monday (and probably later). I was supposed to go to a MoveOn meeting last night* but went to a flu shot clinic instead. And after reading today’s news about possible vaccine shortages, I’m very glad I did it while there were still shots available. Being pregnated and all I’m in a “high risk” group. Though the nurse damned near demanded I take a pregnancy test to prove myself, and then had to be convinced that yes, indeed I am 19 weeks along, 5 weeks safely past the 1st trimester mark when it’s more dangerous to get the shot than not. She said I just don’t “look” like I’m that far along. Yeah, well – wearing a loose sweater and having plenty of belly fat for the tyke to hide in serves to camouflage that tell-tale baby-belly pretty good. I was sorely tempted to drop trou right in front of the hot pocket freezer in Albertson’s where this converstaion was taking place to show her my hemorrhoids as proof. They should be big enough by now to impress. I've decided I'm not going to worry about the possibility I could have been on the receiving end of one of those contaminated vaccines, though.

*I’m suddenly very popular with the political organizations. After signing up to volunteer online with many of them and not hearing anything for months, MoveOn called me Sunday and PP yesterday. I expect to receive a call from the Kerry camp itself anyday. Apparently I reside in one of the key battleground counties (Clackamas) in Oregon and everybody is gearing up to do mass canvassing. I won’t be pounding the pavement, my last effort with MoveOn back in June/July? About killed my couch potato ass, but now in my 2nd trimester, it really wouldn’t be a good idea. Besides, I’m damned good on the phone. If it weren’t for those annoying ethics, I’d’ve been a kick-ass telemarketer. Or phone-sex operator.

No comments: