Friday, April 28, 2006

Is the Internet a Heaven or Hell for grammar nerds?

I've had 2 total strangers take the time in the last 2 weeks to either leave a comment on my blog or email me about some random typo or grammatical error.... errors that I can't actually find anywhere. Not on blog posts, not in comments I've left elsewhere. Not on bulletin board posts. THough I don't doubt for a minute that I've committed these sins against the English language. THe truth is, I don't give a shit.

Yes you idiot I KNOW "alot" isn't a word in the dictionary. If you spend any time reading my blog or comments I leave on other blogs, you'll quickly see that I'm the fattest-fingered typist you'll ever see. NOte hte very common DOuble capitalization at the beginning of sentences and the transposing of hte h and hte t in "the". Those my friend, are Mustang Sally trademarks. As is the passive voice and gratuitous use of run-on sentences.

I can barely summon the energy to take 5 minutes out of my precious daily existence to check for stray boogers on my face before walking out the door. Yesterday I put on navy BLUE socks with my black shoes and pants, BEFORE leaving the house. Yet, I DID NOT change the socks. Not even when I came home for lunch. Obviously, appearances do not mean a great deal to me. Not my real life persona, not my internet persona.

I catch spelling and grammar errors as I catch them, but I've never pretended to be a good copy editor. SOmeday when I write that best-selling novel I trust my publisher will hire a most excellent one to clean up my prose. Or not.

I have delusions of becoming the e.e.cummings of the blogosphere.

No comments: