Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Can They Really Heal the Blind?

I might be getting laser surgery!!

I'm so excited!!! Saw this ad in the Sunday papers for $299 per eye but you have to get the surgery done in the next 30 days. As it so happens I'm setting up my flexplan right now so can set the $$ aside to have it done after the 1st of the year. I go in tomorow morning to the clinic for my consultation.

I went to my optometrist this afternoon for my independent consultation to make sure I was a good candidate and I AM!!: -2 and -1.5 with a slight astigmatism. I love this doc. I think he teaches at the local health sciences school & he basically keeps up an ongoing "lecture" on the technical jargon when you're talking to him. I never really understand him but for some reason his nerdy murmering comforts me. You can really tell he *loves* his field.

He says he saw the same ad in the paper and is really curious to see how it goes. He's never heard of this clinic - they're new to town (but claim to be the largest provider of Lasik in the world (Lasik Vision Institute). He said it looks like they're offering the special deal to initial customers in the area to drum up good word of mouth, then they'll raise the rates in a month.

The specific laser they're running the special on is a Nidek EC-5000; which he says is the newest, top-of-the-line laser. Much much safer than the older Exemer (sp?) lasers that would require several minutes per eye. These are on and off your eye in 30 seconds and come in from the side, not straight in so there's less chance of permanent retinal damage. He said they sound like a good outfit - unlike some other doc in Vancouver who is also offering great deals but using an old, nearly obsolete laser.

We'll see what they say tomorow - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm so stoked! I've had glasses/contacts since I was 16.

No comments: