Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Too Good to Be True

Shit. Just came across this warning about the place I'm looking to get the surgery done. I'm printing off a copy to take to the consultation tomorow in case they try any of this same bullshit with me. Maybe I'll go somewhere else. Damn Damn Damn. Let's see - FTC Investigations for false/ fraudulent advertising, an "unsatisfactory" rating by the BBB and a class action suit by former patients for injuries and false advertising. Investigations by ABC and former national medical directors quitting in disgust. Do I really want to trust my eyes to this kind of an outfit???? I don't know.

The best laser surgery center here is the Casey Eye Institute up at the Oregon Health Sciences University. $1600/ eye. But then there's Canada.... which was kind of my plan for awhile. The Lasik Eye Centre in Vancouver BC specifically: $1,990 USD for BOTH eyes.. You can even get a special overnight hotel package that can be included in the price of the procedure. woohoo!! First, you get the benefit of favorable exchange rate (saving $$); then you get the benefit or more advanced technology, due to the lack of US FDA ass-dragging on approval; and probably more importantly the benefit of experience. The Canadians have been doing it much longer than their US counterparts; and I can have my pre and post operative screening and care done by my optometrist.

There's a $3k cap on what I can withold on teh Flexplan, and the Canadian procedure would fall well under that (even including travel expenses).

No comments: