Monday, January 12, 2004

Everyone's a Poindexter

Really, I've been trying to avoid this guy. He reeks of smoke, but what's worse he's a prime example of the PC tech wannabe's we inevitably end up hiring in non-IT departments. They plague us with computer jargon and jokes picked up from years of tearing apart and building their own PC's in Mom's basement and yuk-yuking about their little hobbies in gamer's forums with other socially inept wannabe's. This is why we got our own office. Otherwise they'd try to cozy up with their vast knowledge of DOS programming skills and weasel free software out of us all damned day long. But he managed to sneak into the office with an actual legitimate question and I couldn't avoid him this time. Dammit! Now I'm going to have to start avoiding the lunchroom again or else he's going to imagine a kinship of some sorts and pester me with technical questions and shit about our systems which, even if I knew them (I don't do hardware... ) would force me to pull the "if I told you, I'd have to kill you" cliche because unless rigorously policed (by Todd, thank Maude) these people would run amuck (amuck, amuck) in our systems, testing security and user access at every point and downloading all kinds of shit off the internet, wasting both their time and everyone else's when system resources inevitably slow.

I do feel sorry for these people. Sure they've got some good technical skills but thanks to the current shitty economy are having to find work wherever they can and usually it's *not* where they'd want to be: in I.T. So they end up like Smoky Pete stuck in customer service or accounting salivating at the door to the BatCave every time they walk by, hoping we'll take pity on them and share a little bit of the privileged world we live in. And it is privileged - I know. And I can identify - I was once one of them. I was just lucky enough to actually break into this world and I'm still very grateful for that. But not enough to take pity on the poor bugger. I've worked hard to earn my air of superiority :)

No comments: