Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Thesaurus Drive for Local Media

Aside from a somewhat normal day yesterday we're still in lockdown. They were forecasting this really bad storm to come in starting Sun night. Ma Nature, however has her own schedule and we didn't get it until this morning. We got maybe 4 inches of snow since about 3 am, now the freezing rain is upon us. The Pineapple Express (progenitor of all good NW winter storms) is cranked up & running full bore, but right now it's hitting this stubborn arctic mass that's settled in the Portland area being judiciously re-enforced by a frigid supply line called The Columbia River Gorge.

Now if I was just able to accurately describe our chilly current events without ever using the word "cold" (as above) you'd think your professional journalism team might be able to do the same. But no. Casulaties of mass media, I suppose... you turn on the telly and every other word out of every journalists's mouth is "it's cold here"!! As evidenced by the handy-dandy thermometer they're clutching in glove-lined hands.

I was feeling a tad guilty for not even attempting to make it in to work this morning (I probably could have made it with chains) but was more concerned about the freezing rain with the evening commute. We really have no idea how long the icy shit is going to last before it turns to good ole, familiar rain. So I'm sitting here at home with Bolero cranked up on my stereo, Kittlin nestled behind me on the computer chair; Ozzie settled atop the shef, Jack hangin out either under the bed or in teh basement and Jinx & Cleo splitting their time between the fire and dining room, where they're supervising Curt's stuffing of envelopes. A nice cozy family day at home.

So far Curt & I have managed not to tear each others' throat out due to the enforced proximity. I guess that's a good sign. He really is something special, and I know I don't tell him that nearly enough.

No comments: