Monday, February 23, 2004

Hormones and such

Flea had a great entry about PMS yesterday. It seems like such a silly topic to me somehow . Don't know why that is, really - it *is* a serious condition that can seriously impact the quality of every woman's life (and her family's). But at the same time we women get so pissed when our emotions are so easily dismissed as hormonal in cause that we tend to trivialize that impact.

One of the hardest things about my getting fired is remembering that awful morning with the hatchet squad - all women, all supposedly "sisters" and sleep-deprived and emotionally spent me, totally speechless and empty, defending my emotional outburst of the day before on the bad PMS I'd been getting since coming off b/c. It was my one parting shot, my "last words" and I couldn't come up with anything more grandiose than "it was the PMS". Maude, how pathetic. How unprofessional! But honestly - I'm sure that was it.... so why not own up to it? How else am I supposed to figure out how to not let my hormones control my life except by recognizing it for what it is?

No comments: