Monday, March 22, 2004

Lunch from Hell

Have you ever had fire extinguisher go off in your car while driving? I can now say that I have! Woohoo!!! Not as much fun as you'd think. Dad's borrowed full-size Bronco, extinguisher rolling around loose in the back... sudden stop in traffic and... you get the picture. I managed to pull over and get the pin back in but it wouldn't stay. Eventually had to crawl back there and tie it upright to some heavy box full of emergency auto gear (flares, rope, whathaveyou). Did I ever mention one of my biggest irrational fears is of chemicals getting thrown together in the back of a truck and causing a lethal reaction or worse yet, causing an explosion? Yeah, laugh all you want but that's exactly what happened to some poor family on the way home from the beach here in Oregon a few years back. Two out of the 3 kids burned alive while their parents could do nothing to get them out of the backseat (the fire was too hot). The same old bleach/ baking soda? reaction I think that was on CHiPS a long time ago. Bleach and some other common household item, anyway - stuff you'd commonly pick up at the store together.

Needless to say, I'm pretty damned thankful it was just a fire extinguisher.

No comments: