Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Get your Irk On...

So according to the Red Cross' report given to the Bush administration last year, coalition military intelligence officers estimated that about 70 percent to 90 percent of the thousands of prisoners detained in Iraq had been "arrested by mistake,". And according to the Franken Report this morning, one of the prison administrators *refused* to release people whose names were actually cleared.

And per this LA Times article, we'll probably never know what really happened to female detainees, because if their families ever find out they were raped while in American custody they may be as good as dead - victimized a second time to satisfy the family's honor.

You know, I've gone beyond the weepy "It didn't have to BE this way!!" phase and am quickly moving through red, blind outrage to the white hot "this fucker's gotta go down" phase. I've mostly been an armchair activist my entire life. I get outraged, sign petitions and vote but very rarely volunteer or give any $$ to my pet "causes". That's about to change. For the first time in my life I actually sent $$ to the DNC last week, and I've just signed up to volunteer with MoveOn.org.

No comments: