Friday, April 23, 2010

In trouble now!

I went to the Office Crack Supply store at lunch and got a little USB SD card reader for the office (and laptop) so now I can upload pics from work (shhhhhhh!!!) which means it's much more likely to get done without the incessant screaming of a 4 ft. munchkin whining  "Mommy!  Mommy!  Come Play With Me!" (my usual excuse for never making it to the PC in the basement at home to upload/blog).

Also I figured out how to McGyver my old Canon powershot with a rubber band to keep the battery compartment closed so I can keep using it and won't have to buy another one.  Looks like crap but I don't care.  I love my little Canon A540.  Just wish it had better zoom capability.

So here's Opening Day at the Farmer's Market.  We see these handsome fellows quite often when we go (at least I'm pretty sure it's the same pair.  How many English Sheep Dogs could there be in town?) But they don't always have the bunny ears, obviously.

Here's another dude we see a lot.  Our own local Yanni wannabe.  He's actually pretty good. 


And finally for your viewing pleasure, my vantage point for the next 6 weeks or so.

That's Mr. Stang in the background.  As a former highschool star pitcher (before he threw his arm out) he's finding it very, very hard to take a backseat to all this and stay off the sidelines.  I asked him if he wanted to coach when we signed up.  He said "No".   Until about 10 minutes into the first practice.  Now it's all, "when I coach......"   I had to remind him that in T-ball they don't keep score, everybody wins, blah blah blah.   It's cracking me up to see his competetive side really come out for the first time since I've known him.  Though he was a jock in his younger years, he's not into sports now (wants to play, not watch and is too old and decrepit to do that). It didn't ocme out when the Monkey was in Tae Kwan Do, or swimming lessons, or tumbling/ballet.  But now he's doing something Daddy knows about and oh shit I think we're in trouble. 

Especially since the Monkey has (now how do I put it without sounding like an obnoxious braggart of a parent?).... quite the natural aptitude.   Here he is squaring off to hit.   Lefty.  Though yes, he is technically right handed.  He just hits the hell out of the ball (even when pitched), left handed.  He can hit right handed, too and is a little more accurate - but not as hard.  And he's got a serious arm and can drill it into your chest from 20 feet away.  For a while there until he figured out what hand the mitt went on he was even throwing pretty damned good lefty, too.  I, the non-pitcher who don't know much about anything pitch-related figured out - if a switch-hitting player is gold, then OMG what if he were a switch-PITCHING player, too?? 

Needless to say when the actual coach tried to "correct" his batting stance/grip, we were both, "ummm.... actually, NO.  The LEFT hand goes on top".  If the League had less stringent age restrictions, Mr. Stang would totally have him trying out for the PeeWee's.  Poor coaches.  Another reason I suggested Mr. Stang do it.  If anyone's going to ruin the talent of our special little snowflake it should probably be us.

1 comment:

Gettysburg Mom said...

I totally want a couple of English sheep dogs now, just so that I can put bunny ears on them. Oh, vicious dog envy there you are once more.

And I see a lot of baseball games in your future! :D