Thursday, May 13, 2004

Going' Under & stuff

I kept telling myself it's just a minor procedure - outpatient and all, even if I will be totally under. Tried to not think about it at all until the day of, but it didn't work. The apprehension and anxiety got to me last night. Didn't sleep well at all last night. Finally picked up & moved to the couch to let Curt get some rest, at least. I guess it's natural once you hit 30 to start feeling your mortality. I should have mentioned it on the boards before so I could get all the good advice I know the other members would give me. Take care of yourself. Take a hot bath before bed, listen to soothing music. But I didn't do any of that stuff. We watched the Last Samurai instead. Fantastic movie, by the way but in hindsight I probably didn't need to see thousands of healthy men dying in gory detail by the sword when I was about to go under the "knife" myself.

On top of that, we've got a couple of hot personal opportunities we're persuing this week, too which have my mind racing. I was just hanging out in the reception area of work earlier this week and a headline in the local business paper that was sitting on the table caught my eye. It was about a woman who was selling her plant shop. Now, this wasn't just any old plant shop - it's one of two I used to drive by all the time (but never went in for some off reason) and think "I had that idea! A shop in the inner city devoted to houseplants! That would just be the coolest ever!" Only my vision included a plant hospital and babysitting service. As it happened, Curt had a similar idea before he'd ever met me. Only his involved having a wheel & kilns there and making his own pottery to use as planters. Our love of houseplants is one of the first things we discovered we had in common. But anyway - he's doing OK as a loan officer and likes it OK (the hours and freedom are great) but he'd really like to get out of finance and find something more stable. And we've always talked about how he'd probably be happiest owning his own business. So when I saw this article, it seemed like fate.

Besides just selling plants, she rents them (for events & such) and has maintenance/ delivery service. Been in business 15 years - 8 at the current location. Curt called the broker and for $30k down, she might carry the contract on the rest. It could be that easy - one huge dream come true. He's trying to raise the capital from a family friend (the same one that had the house in Port Townsend we thought about buying) and it's looking like it might, just might all work out. So keep your fingers crossed.

Then there's a whole other thing that I don't have time to get into right now. Maybe later.

No comments: